March 2, 2012, is Read Across America Day. Every day is a wonderful day for reading, but this is a whole day dedicated to celebrate reading. The National Education Association wanted to get children excited about reading, so they picked the birthday of beloved children’s author, Dr. Seuss. Across America, you’ll discover individuals at schools, libraries, hospitals, bookstores, community centers, and homes celebrating the love of reading. Many schools even have all day reading events! So, grab your favorite Dr. Seuss book or any book and make a memorable day reading with any child young or old!
This year’s extra special, since Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax releases on March 2, 2012. Many reading themes are green to read for trees. Here is the trailer for The Lorax:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
― Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
Read Across America Poem:You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild,
To pick up a book and read with a child.
You’re never too busy, too cool, or too hot,
To pick up a book and share what you’ve got. In schools and communities,
Let’s gather around,
Let’s pick up a book,
Let’s pass it around.There are kids all around you,
Kids who will need
Someone to hug,
Someone to read.
Come join us March 2nd
Your own special way
And make this America’s
Read to Kids Day.
Get out there & READ!
I previously posted this video, but I love how you really can go anywhere when you read!
- Dr. Seuss’ Birthday And Read Across America Activities (whatsupyournose.wordpress.com)
- NEA’s Read Across America Day (frombirnamwood.com)
- Has Dr. Seuss Impacted Your Life? (whatsupyournose.wordpress.com)
- National Education Association’s ‘Read Across America Tour – Driven by Mazda’ To Raise $1 Million for Public School Libraries (prnewswire.com)
- Why I Read…and Why America Needs to Read…More! (1manandhisbooks.wordpress.com)
- Celebrate Reading with Target and Dr. Seuss To Win! (5minutesformom.com)
- Why do you read? and Read Across America Day (1manandhisbooks.wordpress.com)
I found these videos on http://www.read.gov which is sponsored through the Library of Congress. These videos captured how reading inspires children and that it can take you anywhere from Hogwarts, Naria, Camelot, to Oz. Watch and share with others.