People normally associate picture books with well, pictures. There doesn’t have to be any text to understand the book. A picture truly can be worth a thousand words. Wordless picture books can be used in many ways. I’m going to review completely wordless picture books about twice a month.
Here are some elements that can be used with wordless picture books. Of course, many of these elements can be used with any book.
- Sparks imagination.
- Understand basic story structure (beginning, middle, end)
- Increases & enhances vocabulary that isn’t on the page.
- Mixed reading levels and ages are on a level playing field.
- Make story predictions through the illustrations.
- Create dialog between characters on the same page.
- Examine the character’s actions and traits.
- Promotes creativity.
- Encourages interaction with the book.
- It’s fun to read!